Ion exchange is used in the sweetener industry for demineralisation.
Demineralisation is a crucial part of high DE hydrolysate refining. Especially for the production of high purity products, where salt content will influence either the further processing and/or the final product quality.
Ion exchange plants are part of a long chain of processing steps from the raw material (starch slurry) to the final product (glucose, fructose syrup, sorbitol etc.).
Ion exchangers Advantages
- The following impurities will be removed:
- Organic and inorganic acids
- Heavy metals (Cu,Pb,Fe)
- Alkaline earth metals (Ca,Mg)
- Improved product quality by overall removal of impurities
- Improved storage stability by partial removal of HMF (hydroxylmethylfurfural)
Ion exchangers Characteristic
- Flexible plant set-up depending on application
- Fully automatic operation/regeneration
- Minimum chemicals and water consumption
Ion exchangers Reduction
Total nitrogen: 90%